I am enjoying doing a lot of Science Projects these days. I made a long, colorful DNA model. This is how to make it. Collect these things first!
- White paper
- 4 colored highlighter pens
- Tape (If you have colored tape, it’s best)
Put the ruler on the white paper.
Make about 30 strips which should be 1 cm (1/2 in) wide and 3 cm (1+1/4 in) long with the pencil. Cut out the strips with the scissors. Take each strip and pinch a crease halfway across the total length.
Now color the paper rungs on both sides. One half should be one color and the other half another. The colors should always be in pairs – for example orange always goes with green.
Now cut two strips of tape about 70 cm (28 in) long. Lay the strips face up next to each other with a gap of 2 cm (3/4 in) between them. Stick down the ends with small pieces of the same tape. Press the colored rungs onto the two lengths of tape.
Everyone’s DNA is different, so there is no right or wrong combination. When you’ve stuck all the rungs, carefully fold both lengths of sticky tape over them to hold them in place. Tear out the side tapes you put to hold the two sides of DNA out of the tape on the sides. If you are not able to, tear it from the ground. Then cut out the sides. Your DNA model is ready!
I found DNA very interesting so I researched more about it. The full form of DNA is Deoxyribonucleic Acid. This is how to pronounce it: Dee-Oxy-Ray-Boh-Nyoo-Klee-Ik Acid.
This twisting multi-colored ladder is a model of a very important part of your body. But it’s about 10 million times bigger than the real thing.
DNA is a tiny molecule. It is the code in our body for how we look, how tall we are and many more. DNA is connected, so if your great-grandfather and great-grandmother are long then you are likely to be long. Here are some other interesting facts about DNA:
- There are 3 types of DNA: A-DNA, B-DNA, Z-DNA.
- DNA is curled.
- DNA is in pairs – for example yellow always goes with green.
- DNA is not in a specific order ; everyone’s order of DNA is different.
- DNA is in everyone’s body (all living creatures). It is the Blueprint of the body’s protein.
How it works
Did you know?
• We have more than a trillion DNAs. That’s as much as the Earth to the Sun ~600 times!
• Genes are only 3% of the DNA. Rest of the DNA controls the activity of the genes!
• Human DNA has 3 Billion pairs of bases of DNA.
I hope you found all these facts interesting. If you make a DNA model at home, do post a picture in the comments.
1. Google, YouTube videos
2. Craft Activity from Home Lab book by Robert Winston
One thought on “DNA”
Keep doing those experiments.
I enjoyed it. DNA has a long-lasting impact on our life.